Hi everyone: I can hardly believe it but there are some buds appearing on a couple of the bushes in my yard! That doesn’t necessarily mean that we won’t have more snow here in Alaska, however, but it still shows signs that the geese will be arriving soon and the lakes will be losing their ice. Hooray!!
- The Great Alaska Outdoor Show, April 4-7-2019, is another sign of spring that we wait for with lots of anticipation. Go here to see the list of seminars
http://greatalaskasportsmanshow.com and dozens & dozens of vendors appearing in the Sullivan Arena in downtown Anchorage. The Great Alaska Sportsman Show has always proven to be a great attraction! The four-day show draws crowds of people who care passionately about fishing, hunting, hiking, camping, climbing, guide services, and lots more.I’ll be there doing fly casting clinics on each day except Thursday. I’ll also have my five books FOR sale. They will also be ON SALE !
- Get Your Cast On! & Save the Dates!
Maxine McCormick, the fifteen year old International Fly Casting Champion, is coming to Anchorage, on June 8th-12th! She is going to be signing her’s & my new book, The Girl With the Fly Rod , and doing casting demonstrations, casting lessons and more in several locations around the city. There will a breakfast buffet sponsored by the Alaska Fly Fishers, and also a Happy Hour with a silent auction, a picnic, and other events at other different sponsors over the five days she is here. Other sponsors besides AFF are Trout Unlimited, Fishewear, Sportsman’s Warehouse, Inlet Towers, Barnes & Noble, Mountain View Sports and Women’s Flyfishing.The “where & when” of it all is still being put together right now, so this is just a “SAVE THE DAY” notice so that you’ll be ready to meet and greet this great fly fishing Champion when she arrives.The late April newsletter will have a complete itinerary and places you can purchase tickets. So stay tuned!
- Annual Spring Fling for Women on Friday, April 19, 10:am Saturday& April 20 at 11:am.This is one we all wait for with its FREE Public Admission & Parking, Anchorage “Health & Wellness Expo” as well as vendors offering fashions, fine arts, informative seminars, lots of door prizes, concessions, beer and wine and much more at the Alaska Airlines Center at 3550 Providence Dr.
- SOMERSET, Penn. The Fly Fishing Show has announced that anglers may now purchase fresh and saltwater fishing licenses for all 50 states by visiting the show’s website, www.flyfishingshow.com/.“At the top of the page, click the word ‘More’ to purchase a fishing license by credit card wherever you are planning to fish,” said Fly Fishing Show President and CEO, Ben Furimsky. There is no additional fee for purchasing out-of-state licenses through the Fly Fishing Show website.Contact Information:
The Fly Fishing Show
531 North Center Ave.
Somerset, PA 15501
Have you ever stopped to think about the services of the two major fish hatcheries in Alaska? Fish ready for release are put into certain lakes and rivers & you can get information about when & where that happens by going to both the Ruth Burnett hatchery in Fairbanks and the William Jack Fernandez in Anchorage. https://www.adfg.alaska.gov/index.cfm?adfg=home.main (It’s rather hard to navigate the site, but just keep at it). Go to “Hatcheries” and then on to “stocking and release”. You’ll get charts to check on the area that you are searching for. This page is provided so you can search which locations have been stocked, with what species of fish, and when specific locations were stocked. two options are available for searching the fish stocking database as provided in the table provided. (p.s. if you get stymied just call 907-2672218 in Anchorage and 907-459-7228 in Fairbanks, for help.)
- Alaska Fly Fishers!AK FlyFishers will meet on Monday April 1, 6:30 at the BP Energy center. Come and hear all about the guys that are in the process of creating a fly- tying business in Brazil!!!! Should be great!!!!! I can’t wait!!!!!!!
- The Alaska Flyfishers will also be offering its annual Spring Seminar to folks wanting to take up the sport of fly fishing. That will be done in four different evenings to offer discussion on the various parts of flyfishing. Get the dates and locations at the Great AK Sportsman Show.
- If you live in Fairbanks you have an outdoor show too. It is the Fairbanks Outdoor show on April 26-27-28 at the Carlson Center 2010 2nd Ave, Fairbanks. Sponsors information and door prizes will be posted when the dates get closer. See Big Rays for other information.
That’s All For Now!