March 2019, Newsletter
Hi Everyone; We’ve turned the corner and can see a little bit of spring out there on the horizon! So, it’s time to do things like book your fishing dates for this summer at your favorite lodge, get out your rod and reel to see if they are in need of cleaning or new fly line, refurbish your fly boxes, or whatever else should need doing. It’s time to get going!
- The Alaska Fly Fishers March Meeting is on Monday March 4th 6:30PM at the BP Energy Center, 900 East Benson Blvd, Anchorage. Presentation sounds great— hear Dan Redfield, an Emmy® nominated filmmaker and adventure photographer. He created Alaska Photoventures to fulfill his love for both film and photography.
- A Contest!! If there happens to be a budding artist or fisher at your house you will want to know about the state fish-art contest. It is a way to have your child create a picture of fish & fishing in Alaska and win a prize! The contest consists of pictures of fish in their state that they want to nominate for the fish of the year. Take a look at this great opportunity! But don’t wait, the deadline is March 31st All of the details can be found at https://www.wildlifeforever.org/home/state-fish-art/
- Girl Got Game – Go to U-Tube & or mid-current’s list of videos to see the Silver Kings Season video 5/E4. Pick up Alex Woodsum in the “Girl Got Game” U-Tube in the great video of her in the Florida Keys catching a grand slam of Tarpon, Bone-fish, and Permit all in one day and all on a fly!!!! Alex is one of the four young girls featured in my Gold-Medal Winning book many years ago called River Girls. She now is writing, working in organizations like “Now or Neverglades” Florida’s conservation trust, and various activities in the fly-fishing world. Yeh! AlexStay tuned to this newsletter to see information about the 2nd Edition of River Girls book with Maxine McCormick, the 15 year old fly casting champion who is winning all the gold medals in the world. Maxine & her coach will be coming to Anchorage the second week of June! She will sign your book and show all of us some of her casting. I can hardly wait!
- Are you subscribing to “Catch Magazine? catchmagazine.com If not, you’re missing out on some of the most stunning photography in the fly-fishing world.” Just $12 a year gets you un-matched photos from different fish from different parts of the world and some of the best fly fishing you’ll ever see.
- Winter Fish Fest IV – Trout Unlimited March 14th Please join the Southcentral AK Trout Unlimited Chapter for their fourth annual banquet at the 49th State Brewing Co in Anchorage event will be hosted in both Barrel Rooms on the lower level of 49th State Brewing Co. Winter Fish Fest IV will feature both silent and live auctions as well as some fishy fun. The event starts at 5:30p.m. Ticket $20 at the door for members and $25 for non-members, this will get you a drink ticket and entry to win a door prize! We recommend bringing cash or check please www.49statebrewing.com/events/winter-fish-fest-iv-trout-unlimited-alaska/
- WOW the new REI https://www.rei.com/ 500 E Northern Lights Blvd, Anchorage, AK in Anchorage is really something!! Get on down there for the rest of their winter sale now- and then especially be sure to join them on March 22–24 for their 3-day Grand Opening festivities, Fri.–Sun.! Three Whole Days!!!!! Here are the two parts each day: Mornings: Door prizes when the store opens (10:00 a.m.) Afternoons: Free food, music, door prizes and more—3pm to 6pm
- The Fly Fishing Film Festival comes to Anchorage on March 26, 27, 28 at the Bear Tooth theatre. There will be four showings this year. March 26, at 5:30pm,- March 27 at 5:30pm, -and March 28 at 5:30 and also at 8:30p.m. Get to their web site to see the “trailers” https://flyfilmtour.com/watch-trailers/ proceeds will go to TU and the Alaska Fly Fishers.
- Clean Water goes to Dirty Water without our help! Go to https://org.salsalabs.com/o/2155/p/dia/action4/common/public/?action_KEY=23375 and hear how the Clean Water Act goes to Dirty Water if we don’t do something about it. Go to the link above and see what’s happening. They will provide you a letter to the EPA if you want to voice your thoughts. Go to https://cleanwateraction.org/thank-you-taking-action as well.Articles for My Blog!
- Hear’s another classic article from Fish Alaska Magazine for you, rescued from my archive and now in the Articles section of our web site! Go straight to my website at www.pudgekleinkauf.com/articles/ to read about “My Arsenal of Great Grayling Flies” in the April 2010 issue of Fish Alaska Magazine.
Thats all for now. Best Fishes!