Hi Everyone: After a summer-like March and some beautiful April days with a few trees and flowers budding we had several snow storms to remind us that it was really NOT spring!! Just when I was changing the studded tires on my car, the mountains above town were hit with two feet of snow, and places around Anchorage got almost that much! After 46 years of residence in Alaska, you would think I would know better.
Now that it is May, when real spring weather appears I can gear-up and head for the Situk River to do some steelhead fishing. Even though it’s May,
I still have to be sure that I take my hand-warmers and, of course, my winter coat & hat. It’s hard to wait!!!
NOW SOME NEWS
- The Most Endangered Rivers of 2019: Every year I am amazed by the different rivers in the US that are endangered and need protection. This web site will give you the list’s rivers, starting with the dubious honor of most endangered river in 2019, which flows to New Mexico’s Gila River. The Gila is the last free-flowing river in the state and a tributary of the Colorado River, which flows through deserts and box canyons in New Mexico and Arizona. Take a look to see others and how you can help protect them. https://www.americanrivers.org/2019/04/americas-most-endangered-rivers-of-2019-spotlights-climate-change-threats/
- -For those of you who fish Tenkara or who want to take it up here’s notice of the Tenkara Summit 2019. Registrations for the 2019 ISummit are now open! -Tenkara USA https://www.tenkarausa.com/registrations-for-the-2019-tenkara-summit-now-open/The event will be held July 27, 2019 at the Millennium Harvest House Hotel in Boulder, Colorado. Find more information and registration details at the web site above.
- Get on You Tube & head to the Huge Fly Fisherman I’m not much of a You Tube fan, but I have taken to this site. I just can’t help it! If you love getting down to the “real” information about our sport go to this fellow’s web site for some really hilarious material. He hits things right on the nose. I especially like the way that he talks about trout food! “Trout Stream Insects: Equatic Entomology.” Take a look!!!!!!
- Trout Unlimited is holding a Spring Flying Fishing event for women on May 14th from 6-8 p.m. at 49 State Brewery with skills practice from 6-7 and then fly fishing films 7-8. Cost is $15 Should be fun!
- The Kenai National Wildlife Refuge and The Nature Conservancy in Alaska are pleased to announce the long-term conservation of a Kenai salmon stream with 293 acres to the Kenai National Wildlife Refuge, the natural habitat that serves as a nursery for salmon will continue to flourish around the Killey River, known as the source for more than half of the Kenai River’s early run king salmon. www.nature.org/en-us/explore/newsroom/kenai-river-salmon-get-a-habitat-boost/
- The Alaska Fly Fishers May meeting is set for May 6th at the BP energy center at 6:30. The program has to do with fishing photography and you might want to bring your camera.
- If you want a chance to win one of the 18 FREE TICKETS for the Inlet Towers Breakfast Buffet with Maxine McCormick & her coach, Chris Ckorich on Sunday, June 9th that the club is offering,
GET THEE TO THE MEETING!!!!
- HAPPY HOUR+SILENT AUCTION INLET TOWERS HOTEL ON JUNE 8TH 5:00 PM ( )
- CASTING WITH MAXINE & CHRIS IN THE AFTERNOON (PRE-PAID)
- BRUNCH & CASTING (PREPAID) AT FISHEWEAR
- MOUNTAIN VIEW SPORTS SHOP EVENING EVENT (JUNE 1OTH)
- SPORTSMEN’S WAREHOUSE – MEET & GREET
- MOSSY’S FLY SHOP- MEET & GREET & CASTING (PRE-PAID)
- FAMILY PICNIC AT INLET VIEW ELEMENTARY SCHOOL( JUNE 11)
- INDIVIDUAL CASTING LESSONS WITH MAXINE & CHRIS (PRE-PAID)
MY NEW BOOK, “THE GIRL WITH A FLYROD”, MAXINE McCORMICK, THE INTERNATIONAL FLY CASTING CAMPION” WILL BE AVAILABLE AT ALL OF THE EVENTS.
MORE DETAILS TO COME!! STAY TUNED TO THE NEWSLETTER!
THAT’S ALL FOR NOW!